Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Primero de Octubre Parade

Me giving a TV interview. That’s right, I’m not just famous, I’m world famous!


Each dance group is known as a comparsa. Vivi visits us as the comparsa gets prepared to start the day.



The comparsa getting ready.


I love the costumes of the Potosi group. Their colorful socks say it all.


Dancer from another comparsa...



...and another...



...and another...


...and another.


Vivi and Cesar Cocarico, Governor of La Paz.
In addition to taking some great photos, Vivi used the parade as a networking event. She's got a meeting scheduled with the Governor on Friday.



My friend Feli, who invited me to dance in the parade with her father’s comparsa.



Me dancing the day away.


Women from the crowd constantly ran out to get pictures with me while we were dancing. They loved having a Gringo take part in a traditional folk dance. It reached the point where I got a little embarrassed and starting inviting friends from the comparsa to pose with me in the pictures.



Parading around La Paz.



The President of the comparsa.



All the comparsas contributed to the large potluck dinner that stretched an entire city block.



Me posing with the comparsa band’s bass drums.



I’m not really sure what “DORYAN” is, but the banner made purely out of flowers is pretty impressive.



Me with three of the comparsa members who have been parading together since they were kids. The 75, 76, and 78 year olds loved it when I told them that I was already an old man.


Share/Bookmark

1 comments:

Unknown October 08, 2010  

That looks awesome Greg...especially the part about San Francisco. I am sure they are referring to the actual Saint rather than the city in CA, but whatever, we'll take the shout out.